The DNA design tool for today’s molecular biologists
The ideal software developed for you to design sequences de novo without being limited by what nature can provide. Gene Designer 2.0 encompasses a complete and visually rich set of tools to bring your creative ideas to completion.
Capture your entire gene design process in one efficient application, using a range of design tools purposely built for the task:
- Intelligent, fast, and easy-to-use algorithms for in silico cloning, codon optimization, back translation and primer design.
- Graphically rich molecular view to display, annotate and edit your constructs.
- Customizable database to quickly store, manage, and track genetic element, genes and constructs.
- Powerful, intuitive drag-and-drop interface for moving sequence elements within or between constructs.
- Import and export sequences in GeneDesigner, Genbank and FASTA formats.
You Dream It. We Deliver It.
Assembling genetic building blocks using Gene Designer 2.0 enables you to design, clone and validate in powerful new ways.
- Codon optimize for recombinant protein expression in any organism using multiple codon-optimization algorithms.
- Remove or add restriction sites or other sequence motifs.
- Recode open reading frames, check translation frames and fusion junctions.
- Instantly design oligonucleotides for sequencing primers with real time melting point calculator.
- Order your newly designed synthetic DNA fragments with Gene Designer files.
PLEASE NOTE: The gene design algorithm described in PLoS ONE 4(9):e7002 (Welch et al.,) is not incorporated into the Gene Designer software. Please submit protein sequences directly to email@example.com to have these gene optimization algorithms utilized for your project.
1. Gene Designer Tutorial (pdf) (Utah State University)
The DNA design tool for tomorrow’s scientists
The ideal software developed to design sequences de novo can easily be incorporated into Synthetic Biology, Systems Biology, Bioengineering and BioInformatics curricula. Gene Designer 2.0 encompasses a complete and visually rich set of tools to bring student’s creative ideas to completion.
Students can create and complete projects which capture the entire gene design process in one efficient application, using a range of design tools purposely built for the task:
- Intelligent, fast, and easy-to-use algorithms for in silico cloning, codon optimization, back translation and primer design
- Graphically rich molecular view to display, annotate and edit your constructs
- Remove or add restriction sites, sequence motifs
- Recode open reading frames, check translation frames and fusion junctions
- Powerful, intuitive drag-and-drop interface for moving sequence elements within or between constructs
- Cloning tool assembles an in silico clone that students can drop directly into their projects, ideal for BioBricks and vector assembly
Examples of Gene Designer 2.0 in Curricula and Student Projects:
- Utah State University, College of Engineering: Synthetic Biophotonics Course
- Gene Designer Tutorial prepared by USU Graduate Student, Angela Dixon
- University of Toronto, Connaught Summer Institute on Synthetic Biology
ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences
Institute for Biotechnology:
- Biodesign: Ways to Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients: Design and Evaluation of Expression Systems
- Molecular Genetics
- Molecular Biology I and II
- Indiana University, South Bend: Multiple Bioinformatics Courses
Hogeschool Leiden, The Netherlands:
- Stanford University: Bioengineering (BIOE44)
- iGEM teams: Cambridge, Stanford, Brown, Utah State, and more!
Are you using Gene Designer 2.0 in your classroom? Let us know!
To learn more about how this technology can be integrated into your curriculum to improve learning, please contact us at +1 877 DNA TOGO or email us at support@DNA20.com
DNA2.0 Support is here to help you with cloning strategies, gene design, bioinformatics analysis and various molecular biology/biotechnology concerns. Every one in the team has extensive experience in molecular biology or a related discipline.
Having trouble installing? Check out our troubleshooting page.
Email Support is always available, we generally reply within a few hours: support@DNA20.com
Telephone support is available from 8:00AM to 6:00PM PST.
Tel: 1 877 DNA TOGO (1 877 362 8646)
Fax: 1 650 853 8351
The dynamic drag-and-drop sequence functionality to create genes with Gene Designer has been awarded US Patent 7,805,252. This unique interface technology created by DNA2.0 scientists enables users to quickly represent nucleic acid sequences and to move them around with ease. Why spend money on other software when Gene Designer is better, easier and free?
For a peer-reviewed and detailed description of Gene Designer and the underlying algorithm please see BMC Bioinformatics 2006 7:285. Gene Designer: a synthetic biology tool for constructing artificial DNA segments. Villalobos, Ness, Gustafsson, Minshull, Govindarajan.
For a great paper utilizing Gene Designer: PLoS ONE 2011 6:e19912. Design and Synthesis of a Quintessential Self-Transmissible IncX1 Plasmid, pX1.0. Hansen et al.,
Using Gene Designer to create optimized gene sequences for increased protein expression: Methods in Enzymology 2011 498:43. Designing Genes for Successful Protein Expression. Welch et al.
Gene Designer is also referred to by the following terms: Gene Designer2.0, GeneDesigner, and GeneDesigner2.0